Sunday, February 02, 2014

Back to oil after 8 years

I got my pochade box last week. It's kind of wobbly on my cheap tripod, I need to stabilize it with the other hand if it gets too bad.

I did a couple paintings from my living room windows as try-outs, to test out the pochade box and get familiar with where things are. So the 2 paintings were horrible, and I scratched them. I remember I used to keep paintings that didn't work, but now I would much rather reuse the panel. I use a palette knife to scratch off all the paint, mix it up as a grey on my palette, wipe the panel down with turpentine, and it is ready to be used the next day.

For the first plein air painting with the Guerrilla pochade box, I picked a place near home, because I was feeling insecure and did not want to venture far. My illness now prevents me from standing for long so I found a park bench to sit on.

Carleton Ave. at Broadview Park - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

I used sight-sizing which Marc Dalessio explained here: Link
Sight-sizing worked really great for me, it cuts down the time that I need to get a perfect drawing done on the canvas before painting, it also makes it easier to compare values and colours as the painting and the view are side by side.

I tried to use very thin painting there, and with a dry brush other than for the sky and the road. It leaves some nice textures here and there. I thought about add some dramatics clouds in the sky. I don't want to change a plein air painting too much, so if I end up doing a studio piece with it I can do that!

No comments: