Sunday, February 16, 2014

Inspiration from Edouard Vuillard

Yesterday it rained all day. In the evening I decided to go out to paint in spite of the rain. We drove for a while and I couldn't find any view that I was satisfied, and that the rain turned into down pour, so we went to the grocery store instead.
When we got home, I decided to do an interior painting. I have always loved the interior paintings by  Edouard Vuillard, so I wanted to do one inspired by him.

Heather in her rocker - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

Vuillard's interior are like no others. They are complex, full of patterns and details. The rooms are often filled with oriental rug and decorative wall papers, paintings on the wall and fine furniture. His renditions of them are so organic and rich. I love how he includes figures in the interior like them belong there. In wild life painting, many painters paint a tightly framed animal, and it usually looks dead and unappealing. Robert Bateman on the other hand, always shows the habitat in which the animals live, sometimes the animal is so small you can to look for it. He gives the animals a context and that makes his painting much more personal and intimate, and to me that what Vuillard did too.

I worked all night on this with Heather sitting for me when I had finsihed most of the interior. This morning she sat for me so I could finish it. She sat for about 2 hours, 1/3 of the time holding the baby, I really appreciate it. 

Here are just a few of them by Vuillard so if you can get an idea of what I was after if you have not heard of him.

Edouard Vuillard: 'Madame André Wormser and her Children'
Edouard Vuillard: The “Voiles de Gênes” Boudoir ,1931
  Edouard Vuillard: La Comtesse Jean de Polignac., née Marie Blanche di Pietro, 1932, in her boudoir

No comments: