Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Parked on a hill

I love to be on a hill, it creates a very special angle to me.
I have been plotting spots on Google map for painting purposes. If I drove by somewhere and liked the view I would go home and mark it on the map. This painting came from such method. Sometimes I also navigate around on Google street view and scout a neighbourhood before I drive out there. I have to say though, that just gives a general idea. A place can look completely different based on the time of day, the weather and season. That's why I have become more inclined to just drive to a general area and just look around as I drive.
When I got to this spot, I parked myself on the side of the road, and got out of the car to look at the view. It was quite cold mind you. I looked at the car and thought, why paint next to the car when I could paint IN the car. I climbed into the passenger seat and looked. The windshield did make the view a little darker, and dirtier, so I wiped it down with a paper towel. I don't remember the last time I wiped the windshield.
One problem with painting in the car was that I couldn't sight-size, so getting a drawing done first became important.

Mountain view on Gilmore - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

When I got home I made some changes to it, biggest change was to add the water. When I was painting, I couldn't see the water at all, it was completely blocked by the trees. That made it difficult to see where the mountain started and how low the road dipped.
I find when I get home from painting out, I usually see things on the painting that I didn't see before when I was painting it. Giving my eyes some break to look at the painting again, they reveal mistakes or areas that could be improved, and in that case photographs can be very useful. I should also find a small mirror to bring with me.

No comments: