Monday, February 24, 2014

snowy days!

When I first started to paint, I lived in Toronto. It's winter there almost half a year, so there was always a snow scene to paint. Snow here in Vancouver is kind of a rarity, not to mention the continous snow we have been getting the last 2 days, and it is still snowing now.
Snow is kind of like fog, it reduces visibility, heightens the sense of depth, lowers the contrast, desaturates colours as well as softens the edges in the distance.
When I went out looking for a snow view to paint last 2 days, I looked for little sky, since it's all flat and boring; I looked for a vanishing point with clear definition of depth to take advantage of what the snow brought me.

Pale ale - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

The city beneath - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

I painted both of these in the car as it was snowing pretty hard, I didn't want them to hit the palette and melt. I have a suspicion the oil pigment I have mixes with the water, next time I will try a grade up, they just get so expensive so fast. Painting in the car is quite comfortable, though I had to roll down the windows a bit so the windshield wouldn't fog up. I also had to leave the power on to run the windshield wiper once in a while.




No comments: