Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Road not to Captital Hill

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, so here are the 2 paintings. I actully did three, but one is pretty horrible so I scraped it.

In this painting I was drawn to the colours and shapes of the cloud. In the sky there were blues and yellows and the clouds purples. I liked the complimentary combo and wanted to capture it. Of course the clouds were moving fast and during the process it was different every minute, so I mostly painted from memory and studied what's in front of me to add authenticity.

cloud study - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

Yesterday was another sunny, cloudy and rainy day. Even though on my way out it was not rainning I wasn't going to take my chances. I stayed in the car and guess what, it rained on and off throughout and I would turn on the windshield wiper once in a while to clear the drops off.
This view wasn't that appealing, it was more for the convenience and retrains from where I could park the car without obstruction, though it still made a good target for me to practice comparing values and identifying big shapes.

Road not to Captital Hill - oil on panel - 9" x 12"


 And of course the sun would come out beautifully at the end.


No comments: