Tuesday, February 11, 2014

reflections

Looking at all the landscape paintings I have ever done, I tend to be inspired by rugged, weathered and organic things, whether it be natural or man-made.

I am not much of a story teller. I do not set out to paint an image with a story in mind, or create one after the act. I paint because painting itself is the story. It's a process that transforms what the eyes see into an image composed of dots, lines and blobs of shapes.

The dots are the rocks in rapids, they come in all shapes and sizes, sharp or round, they create resistance and harmony. The lines are calligraphy, thick and thin, straight and curve, they are elegant and full of rigor. The shapes are like land masses on a globe, the continent and islands, big and small, flat and rugged, they are perfectly balanced. With all the element in unity, they reveal us a sophisticated painting.

Here is a quote from Isaac Levitan. I love to paint all places that stir the heart, but his words are beautiful.


"I chose to paint not exclusively beautiful places, but the most simple and ordinary.. revealing those intimate, deeply moving, often sad traits that are felt so strongly in our native landscape and that so irresistibly act upon the soul." 

- Isaac Levitan

No comments: