Thursday, March 13, 2014

Spring Robins

It was my first time at Barnett park and I am sure I will go back for more. Sometimes though being at a beautiful place doesn't mean it will actually be good painting subject. I chose to paint through the trees as many landscape artists have done, such as Emile Gruppe and Willard Metcalf.

Spring Robins - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

It gets trickier to paint the scape behind the trees, because it's broken up by the large branches, and once you start to paint the branch and you want to modify the background it becomes problematic. The clouds were moving so that changed everything a lot, and whatever changed on the mountain would change the reflection too, but that also presented more options for me to pick and choose, and that's something that would not happen otherwise in the studio.

I used dark over light and light over dark on the trees so some of them would pop, and some I would let them disappear by giving them the same value as the background, thus create rhythm in them and give the painting life.

Emile A. Gruppe
Emile A. Gruppe
Willard Leroy Metcalf
Tom Thomson - He did a lot of these. I guess when you always paint by the lake you have to find some foreground elements.


Have you found the robins in my painting yet?

No comments: