Friday, March 21, 2014

2 Australian paintes

I stumbled upon 2 Australian landscape painters and I would like to share their work with you.

Arthur Streeton 1867 – 1943

Cremorne pastoral - Arthur Streeton

Still glides the stream, and shall for ever glide - Arthur Streeton


and Tom Roberts 1856 - 1931

A quiet day on Darebin Creek - Tom Roberts

One thing I like about their paintings is that they feel 'timeless'. Their work are not intentionally made to look 'classic' or 'modern', they just look like the artists depicted them based on what they saw, and not what their time and culture imposed on them and I like that. I may also feel this way because they were closer to my time, though I can't say the same for the Hudson River school paintings.

Both of their work seem to show some serious cracking, I wonder if it has to do with certain paint that they use such as Flake white?

No comments: