Monday, March 10, 2014

Edge of darkness

This was a fun one to do. I found this view with a nice silhouette, and as soon as I established the main mass and the darks, the feeling of darkness was captured. As I was painting the fog would roll in and out and I tried to preserve some of that in the distance.

Again it was painted on the Burnaby Mountain park. There are many 'things' I want to paint there but finding a good composition is very difficult. Each time it takes me about half an hour walking around to find it.

Edge of darkness - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

In order to paint in the dark shade of the pines, I used a book light to illuminate the painting surface to bring it more to a level that it will be viewed (indoor lighting). If I didn't I would have painted the painting too bright and it would not have the mystic feel that I wanted to have here.


No comments: