Sunday, March 23, 2014

Penzance beach

This is very typical of my method. I like to find a place that has a lot of potential, and usually somewhat secluded so I can paint in peace, and I go back again and again until I pretty much exhaust the location. As seasons change, it becomes pretty much a new spot again to go back.


Penzance sketch noon - oil on panel - 5" x 7"

Penzance sketch noon - oil on panel - 5" x 7"


The beach is tidal, so before I leave I check the tide charts to make sure the tide is low and that I have enough time to finish a painting.


This one below was done using the Zorn palette even though apparently he didn't always use it, but the name has stuck.


He used white, black, vermillion and yellow ochre. I don't have vermillion, the genuine one is very toxic and I use Cad. red instead. Ivory black when tinted with white has a bluish tint to it, very subtle but when surrounded by yellows can look very blue. In this sketch there wasn't much yellow, instead it was mostly blue, so I shall use this palette again with a more suitable subject.

Penzance sketch gulls - oil on panel - 5" x 7"


I don't usually do vertical format and I like the wide expanse of the landscape. Though to show the vast sky and voluminous clouds I think the vertical format presents many benefits, though square ones can be very good too, gives you the best of the both worlds.
In this painting, composition and positions of the clouds were decided before I started painting, this way even though the clouds move away as I painted my design and composition would not suffer.

Green water - oil on panel 12" x 9"



No comments: