Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Giant pine tree

I just moved into our new place 2 weeks ago, yesterday I finally found the time and ambition to do my first painting from the new home. I sat down in my room, set up, and started to paint, and it was horrible. It was so frustrating, I couldn't get any colours right. I will do another post talking about my current woes with this medium Anyway, it looked really bad. I took it to the bedroom, my wife was taking a nap with our baby boy. I shoved it in front of her face and said: "Ugly, I quit pastel." She opened one eye, and said: "Just try again.", and went back to her sleep. Being world's best husband I was, I went to the living room and did one from that angle, the sun was setting, hitting the top of the trees and the far away highrise, the sumac is changing into its fall color...
If you can't tell yet, I quite like the result, and I am going to do another pastel .

2013 Oct 14 - 6.5" x 8.5"

Now, composition, if your eyebrows are hitting the ceiling, yes, I am aware, even my wife asked me what I think. What I think is, I don't know. Yes, there's a giant pine tree in the middle on the frame, splitting the painting in half, but the painting is quite balance in its own way, and I am going to keep it for now, until 3 years later I look back at my past work, and say "What was I thinking!!!!???"

No comments: