Monday, January 13, 2014

Gloomy Monday

Let's start the new year with a typical Vancouver winter/early spring view looking north.
It's good to use contrast to suggest the scale of things. Contrast doesn't have to be in grey scale, it can be contrast in colours or in this case, contrast in details, or stroke size.
In this painting, if I had taken a picture of the painting in progress before the last layers of details were put in, you would see just broad washes of greys in the sky and water and deep blues in the mountains. As soon as small strokes were added to suggest houses on the hill, boats, and snow patches, the painting came to life and 'context' was created.

Small scale plein air paintings can look less grand in scale compared to a large scale studio painting, because with the larger scale you can put in even finer details to contrast.

2013 03 05 - 6.5" x 8.5"

the view

My setup

My set up is super basic. I just layout all my supplies on the tables and chairs. I also carry a damp rag to wipe my hands so colours don't transfer. I also use paper towels to dry my hands to they don't smear colours. Also I have my home made view finders, it's really helpful to close in on a composition. Lastly, I have a grey card punched with a hole, it's my colour picker. Maybe I will talk about these tools in the future.

No comments: