Friday, August 01, 2014

Studies on colours

To test out what I read in Hawthorne's book, I made these paintings from my room of what's outside the window. I wanted to really focus on seeing colours so I didn't do a drawing first, and just work my way down starting with the sky. Since I only focused on the colours I was being very liberal with the accuracy of drawing and changed many things around.


The view towards east, early afternoon - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

The view towards east, rainy night - oil on panel - 9" x 12"


I felt like I could begin to understand at least partially many points Hawthorne made in the book. About how when the colour spots are true itself and true in relationship to each other, the drawing will end up taking care of itself. I also felt that I was able to get a sense of light in the paintings, that could snap me back to the day I painted them. There is a specificity to the light painted, because I tried to stay very true to the colours that I saw.





Normally I wouldn't have done this view, because to me the design was not strong enough. However in Hawthorne's book I remembered him saying to his students to not design their paintings too much and just make sure that the colours speak the truth about the light, the moment.
This was probably my fastest plein air yet for its size. I was able to finish it in less than 2 hours. Though it wouldn't have helped if I worked slower because I lost the sun light completely as I was done.

Chevron refinery - oil on panel - 9" x 12"


This one I didn't push the colours very much.

Alley way on Granville Island - oil on panel - 12" x 9"


No comments: