Friday, June 20, 2014

Studio paintings

It's been a while since the last update. I spent a week on 2 studio paintings from a couple plein air sketches from the Iona series. Both are 14" x 18" from 6" x 8" sketches.

I used the plein air sketches for colour, value, drawing and brush stroke reference. For design I made thumbnail drawings to improve on the sketches. Lastly I used photos for the details that were not in the sketches.


Afternoon on the sand dune at Iona - oil on panel - 14" x 18"


Morning at Iona beach - oil on panel - 14" x 18"


This is the size difference from the transformation:





After a week sitting at home I welcome the chance to go out and paint with fellow artist James Koll. I guessed I got rusty from staying indoor too long. Both paintings I did that day required some heavy re-work back at home to make them presentable.

Edge of pond - oil on panel - 6" x 8"

Colours of the forest - oil on panel - 9" x 12"



This one was done today. I wanted to paint the clouds as they were just so interesting, so I went to the Penzance beach for a wide view. It was cloudy in the beginning, then started to rain, then sunny day at the end. If you have been reading this blog you would know that this seems to happen every time I paint on this beach. It is cursed.

This one didn't need any retouching at home, maybe I am back on track?

Late spring composite- oil on panel - 9" x 12"

No comments: