Saturday, June 07, 2014

Maplewood conservation area

I visited Maplewood conservation area for the first time. It is most a mud flat that is revealed during low tide, located in North Vancouver. When the tide is high, there's trails in the deciduous growth for wild life viewing and painting of course. :)

I was there in the morning, tide was nearly at its highest. I saw a deer and then a doe and her fawn by the channel. The joy of being up early (it wasn't that early.)




Mud flats - oil on panel - 6" x 8"



This was my setup. I didn't bring my tripod because I planned on sitting, but the only way for me to capture this way over the rail. I just set the pochade box on the railing with a garbage underneath it for cushioning, worked fine.




It took quite a while to find the second painting that day. I went down to the beach, looking south, there was a beautiful postcard photo view of Vancouver in blue atmosphere and perfect precious blue water, but I could not find a composition that made me excited. I sat there having a mind battle about what to do, and finally I ditched the postcard view. Why paint a pretty painting if it didn't inspire me? Below is what I found after that:

- oil on panel - 6" x 8"

No comments: