Friday, May 09, 2014

Paintings from New York State

I was away for 3 weeks in NY visiting family. I managed to squeeze out a dozen paintings. I could have done more, but we made an impromptu trip to New York city and I had to ship the paints back home a few days early as I didn't want to risk bring them with me on the plane.

Here are some of them:



First painting I did there.

Village of Penn Yan - oil on panel - 6" x 8"



My brother-in-law drove me around the area and we found inspiration at this cemetery.

A resting place - oil on panel - 6" x 8"



A Mennonite woman came by with her children as I was working. When I finished the painting I crossed the road to show it to her husband as it's their vineyard. They all enjoyed looking at the painting, though they didn't own a camera to take a picture of it.

A Mennonite vineyard - oil on panel - 9" x 12"


After the storm on Keuka Lake - oil on panel - 12" x 9"



I was only able to complete only about 50% of it on location. I was high on a hill, so the sun set behind me earlier than I expected. I finished the rest at where I stayed from looking at the screen on my digital camera.

Bluff afternoon - oil on panel - 9" x 12"


Outlet creek - oil on panel - 9" x 12"


Windy day at Indian Pine park - oil on panel - 6" x 8"



This is a very special painting to me. It was done on the property of our friends Pete and Elaine. I have visited their farm for many years, and enjoyed tremendously each visit. This time I finally had the chance to make a painting there, only wish there was more time for me to do more.

Carlie and Katie - oil on panel - 9" x 12"



During my 3 weeks there, the leaves were just starting to bud. Hills of red buds appear purple in the distance. I tried to capture that in several paintings.

No comments: