Friday, December 12, 2014

Overdue updates

In September I participated in the annual Grand Prix of Art in Steveston. It's a plein air painting competition where the participants are randomly assigned to varies spots in and around town. The artists are given 3 hours to complete the paintings, then frame them to be hung in the following exhibition.

I was assigned to the boardwalk overlooking the docks. The boats are always a sentimental subject, but in this case, there were too many of them. The view was pact with boats and riggers and masts, incredible amount of detail. I was ambitious and decided on a wide view, but just as I started the drawing phase I knew I was in trouble; with the 3 hour time limit I would be lucky to have finished the drawing in one hour, and I wanted to make sure the drawings were as accurate as possible. Objects like boats and cars can easily look wrong if not drawn properly.

I ended up removing a lot of things in the view in order to simplify, including an entire jetty, and many boats. I tried to depict one in the foreground with most care, and let the other 4 or 5 boats into obscurity.

Overall I am happy with the result despite the rush. It has grown on me. I did not place in the competition. To see the winners' pieces follow the link.


Noon rush at Steveston Fisherman's Wharf - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

No comments: