Wednesday, July 16, 2014

New Brighton park and a couple mountain paintings

I started this painting about 10 minutes before the sun went down, just enough time to record the colours. The rest was all painted from memory, as it all happened so fast I didn't even have time to take a picture. This was painted a couple days before the super moon. Apparently the super moon would be 14% bigger than the typical full moon and brighter.

Almost super moon - oil on panel - 6" x 8"



Normally I would have chosen a smaller size to capture such a fleeting light, but I only had a 9" x 12" left. You can see from the strokes how fast I had to work to get all the information down. After I came home I added the details such as the street lights, the path and the figure.

When the crows go home - oil on panel - 9" x 12"


This is one of those paintings when I extensively reworked the entire painting. I actually liked the paintings as it was when I finished it outside. A couple days later I decided to brighten the sky. I sat down, and worked on the sky, and felt the distant trees need to be more blue and hazy, then I brightened the highlights on the houses, then the saplings, the the grass... I am glad to say that I am happy with this new version, considering that I was already happy with the older version.

Maple saplings near sunset - oil on panel - 9" x 12"



The clouds were moving so fast going in and out of the mountains. I had to paint them from memory, and invent the foreground ones.

Cloudy view from up high - oil on panel - 6" x 8"


I have always wanted to paint a mountain when I get close to it, but could never find a location to do that. Finally I had enough and did this. I cropped in on a small section of the distant mountains and found this composition. It was so far away that when I used my hands to form a view finder, with my arms fully extended, it's only about a stamp size.

A world away - oil on panel - 6" x 8"

No comments: