Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Puddles on Skeena

It was down pouring when I left home. I searched for a motif (am I using the word correctly?) that took advantage of the rain. When I got to Aadnac and Skeena I saw this wet road lined with tall trees with character, I knew this was it.

Puddles on Skeena - oil on panel - 9" x 12"

I don't like setting up in the rain, because I have to be very careful not to let rain get on the paints and palette. As soon as the water hits the paint it beads up and will prevent paint from mixing well.

Painting a view like this well will take some practice on my part. I have to admit when I was done at the spot the trees looked a little folk-artsy. It required some careful elegant line work back at home to give the trees character and depth. The decision to allow some groups of branches to turn into a mass and depicting some with precise drawing is also very important.



Lastly, people really need to pick up after their dogs. The first spot had 2 piles of dog doodies emitting a very unpleasant odour, and I had to move.

No comments: